1931 BENTLEY 4/8-LITER LE MANS
This is one of 10 4-Liter chassis with an 8-Liter engine, combining the best chassis and the most powerful W.O. engine. In 1934, Forest Lycett drove a similar combination to 134.7 mph, making it the fastest Bentley at the time. Chassis VF4002 is among the 31 survivors of 50 made. Its six-cylinder 7,983-cc engine, with single overhead camshaft, four valves and two spark plugs per cylinder, yields 220 hp at 3,500 rpm with a top speed of 120 mph, sipping fuel at 9.5 mpg. The Le Mans coachwork, by Rod Jolley of England, is made in the proper style, with ash frames and vinyl.
1950 Abarth 205A
Only three Abarth 205s were made, this chassis, the third and final car, was possibly for Carlo Abarth’s personal use on the road. The Vignale-designed body’s signature portholes are a tip-off to the designer’s heritage. This car was more luxuriously finished than the first two and featured two-tone black and red paint. Fitted with a slightly larger engine, it was shown at the 1951 Turin Motor Show. Just like the first car, it ended up in America. For the last 30-plus years it has been owned by the same American collector, who kept the car in original but not pristine condition. Recently acquired, it was restored in 2009.
1956 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL
Acknowledged by the British motoring press in 1952 as “sports car of the year” after its racing successes, the 300SL went into production in 1954. The steel body had an aluminum hood, doors, trunk lid, and rocker panels; SL stood for “super leicht” or “super light”. The 300SL was the first production car with gasoline fuel-injection (Bosch direct-port mechanical, six-plunger pump), and the 3-liter straight six made 240 bhp. Given independent suspension and drum brakes, the buyer could opt for various final-drive ratios allowing up to 165 mph. Chassis tubes pass below the door, requiring a high sill and the trademark “gullwing” doors. To enter, you sit on the wide sill and swing your legs then torso into place; the tilt steering wheel helps. The cozy cockpit situates you virtually perfectly. The designers tilted the motor to allow a lower hood and lower center of gravity. Completed in July 1956 in white-grey with red leather and the 3.64:1 rear-axle, this car came straight to the U.S.
1955 LANCIA AURELIA B20S
Known for advanced engineering, quality materials, and superb workmanship, the B20 coupe enjoys a simply but unforgettably styled Pininfarina body. The Aurelia had the world’s first mass-production V6, a 2451cc, aluminum, single-overhead camshaft engine producing 118 hp; its narrow vee-angle kept the engine light and compact. This car was first sold in Monterey, California, and Kansas and delivered with the Nardi upgrade kit, including dual Weber carburetors, hot camshafts, race pistons, and a floorshift. In 1987, as a Kansas “barn find”, it was purchased by Michael Gue of Essex Racing Services. After restoration, including time at Omicron in the U.K., the car returned to the U.S. in 2005. A total of 3,871 B20s were made from 1951 to 1958, about 500 a year. While the factory did not label them as different series, their documentation (owner’s manuals, for example) identifies six slightly different groups of B20s by serial number.
1957 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL ROADSTER
For 1957, the 300SL Roadster replaced the 300SL coupe, bringing several refinements. For better handling. There’s a low-pivot rear swing axle; the wind-up windows-replacing the coupe’s pop-out door glass seem practically decadent. Real doors, too! Moving the fuel filler from the coupe’s trunk to the Roadsters fender allowed more luggage space. The last new roadsters brought into the U.S were sold at discount prices, but Daimler-Benz has yet to build another production car with the 300SL’s raw appeal (OK, maybe the SLR McLaren).
1961 ALFA ROMEO GUILIETTA SPRINT
Introduced in 1954, the Guilietta used a twin-overhead cam, 1,290-cc engine making about 90 bhp. The larger-engined (1,570-cc) Giulia derivative was introduced in 1962 and built until 1965. Some Sprint Veloces had several aluminum body panels and perspex windows to save weight. Giulietta Sprints were blessed with good road manners and performance and helped Alfa build a solid reputation among enthusiasts.
1952 ALLARD J2X
Sold through a North Hollywood, California, Ferrari dealer in 1952, this Allard was raced mostly in southern California until the late 1950s, when it was converted to a drag racer then stored for 26 years. After a 2,600-hour restoration by John Harden, it has completed five Grands with no fuss (always a dangerous phrase to commit to writing). Running a 331-ci Cadillac V8, this 1,650-lb red rig is quite a beast.
1955 AUSTIN-HEALEY 100
The Austin-Healey 100 was built from 1953 through 1956 and named by Donald Healey for its ability to top 100 mph. The cars used some Austin A90 Atlantic parts, including the 2,660-cc, four-cylinder engine producing 90 bhp. A modified three-speed transmission with overdrive for the top two gears effectively made a 5-speed that was unique to the model. BN1-L/227087 was built June 29, 1955, making it one of the last BN1s. Originally dispatched to Dusseldorf, Germany, the car eventually returned to England, where it received a ground-up restoration and was honored with the Donald Healey Shield for Best in Show at the U.K. Austin Healey Club National Concours.
1960 FERRARI 400 SUPERAMERICA CABRIOLET
Ferrari’s most luxurious 1960 product was bodied by Pinin Farina and was a rare model. This coachbuilt Ferrari was the beginning of a five-year run for the special vehicle. The first of 11 open 400 Superamericas, S/N 1611 SA was completed on October 7, 1959 with its signature watermelon-like paint scheme of verde scuro (dark green) and rosso (red) interior. Originally shown at the Brussels show in 1960, it was sent to the U.S. in April 1960, presented at the New York Auto show, then sold to NART principal George Arents. So captivating was this car that Belgian Monsieur Villard asked Ferrari to build a similar 250 PF Cabriolet Speciale. One of six Tipo 538 SWB chassis, the Superamerica is fitted with the 4-liter V-12 with three Weber carburetors, tuned to produce about 340 bhp.
1956 FERRARI 250 GT BOANO COUPE
The 250 GT was Ferrari’s first serious attempt at a production grand touring coupe; when it was built, in late 1956, output was less than one car per day. Completed just before Christmas 1956 and first titled in 1957, this GT is the 12th of 14 low-roof coupes bodied in aluminum-alloy by Carrozzeria Boano. In the late 1950s it was raced and hill-climbed in Italy by gentleman race driver and dealership co-owner Enzo Pinzero. Although Pinin Farina designed the body and built prototypes, he didn’t build production models until later. Power comes from the usual 3-liter, Tipo 128 B V12, fed by triple Webers; drum brakes still ruled, front and rear. This car was owned by Greg Garrison (producer of the Dean Martin Show) from 1980 through 2001; the current owners have owned it since and have shown it at Pebble Beach. Thanks for bringing it on its fourth Grand!
1958 FERRARI 250 GT DROGO
With his Carrozzeria Sports Cars in Modena, former race driver Piero Drogo created at least 25 custom-bodied cars, including Ferraris and Jaguars. He re-bodied this one in alloy, as a coupe for Pierre De Siebenthal of Switzerland. It has a 250 GTE engine, a competition SWB transmission and windshield, and 275 GTB side windows. Luigi Chinetti imported the car, and the current owner bought it from Harley Cluxton in 1973. This year is particularly special as it marks the 20th Grand for the owner and his Drogo.
1961 FERRARI 250 GT PF CABRIOLET SERIES II
As Ferrari production rose in the late 1950s, Pinin Farina penned even more body designs, one of his classics being the Cabriolet. This is one of about 240 similar cars, split between Series I and II. Originally painted hazelnut with a tan interior, it is powered by the tremendous Tipo 128F, a 60-degree, 3-liter V12 containing the best of the powerplant’s heritage. Outside spark plugs, twin distributors, and triple Weber carburetors provided 240 hp, and the car featured what other 250s of the period dreamed of–an electrically-operated overdrive. This additional gear, the long wheelbase, fully independent suspension, and four-wheel disk brakes allowed seamless motoring and solidified its presence as one of the finest touring cars.
1959 OSCA 372 FS
Back in 1957, when the successful Osca MT4 and TN became dated, Maserati introduced the 372 FS for sports car racing and, in single-seat form, Formula 2. The “372" refers to displacement per cylinder, for a total of 1,488 cc. Between 1957 and 1959, the prolific brothers reportedly built five two-seaters and four single-seaters. In 1959 this car competed in the 12 Hours of Sebring as a works entry for Frank Campbell, Jay Middleton, and Carl Haas (then just learning about cigars). Four are known to survive, including one owned by Sir Stirling Moss. This example, chassis 1196S, with Fratelli Morelli coachwork, is the last. Its all-alloy, dual overhead cam, 1.5-liter Maserati four is mated to a 4 speed ZF gearbox. At 140 hp and around 1,100 lb, the car has an impressive power-to-weight ratio. It was found 10 years ago in a large plywood box, where it had lived since the end of its racing career 35 years before, complete with its original mechanical, electrical, and body pieces. Now restored, it joins us for its fifth Grand.
1959 ASTON MARTIN DB4-GT
The DB4-GT was born to race. Its shorter wheelbase, lighter weight, and tuned engine let the GT version accelerate from 0-100 mph and stop in just 20.8 seconds! The 3,670-cc, twin-cam six is fitted with three big Webers that help boost power to over 300 hp, up from the normal 250. The third DB4GT prepared by the works was shipped to the 1959 Nassau Speed Week with a similar car entered for Stirling Moss. When the factory entry was damaged, Moss switched to this one. He won a five-lap race and was leading the feature event when a loose nut from the air box was sucked into the engine, bending a valve. Eventually the car was bought by Peter Livonis and restored by the factory in racing trim. It was among the factory Aston Martins raced at Monterey in 1989.
1957 ALFA ROMEO
From Alfa-speak, Sprint means coupe, and Veloce means fast. Lightweight means even faster! The Veloce Lightweights had alloy doors and lids, alloy door window frames, and an alloy “wing” above the license plate plus plexiglas side and rear windows, a ribbed trunk floor, a magnesium oil pan, an air intake “box”, no rear seat, and twin Weber 40DCO3 carburetors. Their bodies were formed of lighter-gauge sheet metal than that of the standard Sprints, so they carried their own Bertone body number series. This dark blue coupe was registered in the United Kingdom from 1957 until the current owners purchased it in 2009.
1953 FERRARI 166 MM/53 VIGNALE SPYDER
This chassis is one of 13 Series II cars and the last of 7 such Vignale spyders. Built in June 1953, it was raced in 1953 and 1954 by the infamous Porfirio Rubirosa at the Rheims 12 Hours then went to Randall MacDougall, who raced it on the West Coast, winning his class at a 1954 Pebble Beach race. This is the car that was once called “the cheapest car on the Grand” because he paid just $1,200 for it in 1967.
1953 CUNNINGHAM C-3 CABRIOLET
Briggs Cunningham never achieved his goal of winning at Le Mans with an American car, but he blazed a hell of a trail trying. Besides creating his own racing cars, he built 23 street models for homologation. Apart from the first example, the 18 coupes and 5 convertibles were bodied in aluminum by Vignale, hence their resemblance to contemporary Ferraris. A 235-hp, four-carburetor Chrysler Hemi V8 fed the Chrysler Fluid-Torque semi-automatic transmission ample torque, and the cars could exceed 130 mph. Although the convertible’s $14,000 price, twice the cost of a contemporary Cadillac, didn’t stop Nelson Rockefeller from owning one, it did limit broader demand. This example was sold to Californian Irving Robbins (who also owned a C-2R racer) then shown at Pebble Beach during the 1950s and preserved by a series of East Coast collectors.
1953 ALLARD J2X
Allards were built in England by the eponymous Sidney from before World War II through 1954. Their combination of European suspension and American horsepower proved potent on the track. The most famous model was the J2X; 83 were built between 1951 and 1954. In the U.S. they raced against the likes of Jaguar, Ferrari, and Maserati. Allard powerplants varied; this was one of five to use an Oldsmobile V8. This car was delivered in 1952 to a general in Guatemala, who raced it in Central America. Its vintage racing career continued in the late 1970s and 1980s on the West Coast; it proved successful in the hands of John Harden at Laguna Seca, where he was class champion for five straight years.
1957 JAGUAR XK-140MC ROADSTER
The XK-140 benefitted from a larger grille and bumpers plus mechanical changes from the XK-120. Moving the engine 3-inches forward increased passenger legroom, allowing a jump seat or package shelf. Rack-and-pinion steering was also fitted, and the MC (M = modified, C = C-type head) model had dual exhausts, wire wheels, and fog lamps. Since 1999 this Roadster’s 3,442-cc, 210-hp inline six has run flawlessly throughout several Grands.
1952 ALLARD J2X
J2X 3051 left London on April 17, 1952, for California Sports Car Company in San Francisco. Its earliest known owner, racer Sam Weiss, lent it to Josie Von Neumann, Johnny’s daughter, in 1954 to run the ladies race at Madera, which she won. (Josie was the first woman driver licensed by the United States Automobile Club.) The car has a 331ci Hemi Firepower V8 and was originally red with red interior and red wire wheels. Its racing career continued with Syd Silverman and John Harden. Syd purchased the car in 1978 and drove it in many vintage races.
1955 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL
Everyone calls these cars “Gullwings”, but back in the day Daimler-Benz never did so. To its Stuttgart creators, this was purely and simply a 300SL, the later open version being dubbed the 300SL Roadster. Painted in subtle but elegant graphite gray and fitted with a warm-looking red leather interior, Rudge knock-off wheels, and a 3:25:1 rear-axle ratio, it left Untertürkheim in October 1955 for U.S. importer Hoffman Motors in New York. Its first three owners, all Californians, included noted vintage racer Ernie Nagamatsu, the longtime keeper, restorer, and driver of Max Balchowsky’s famous Ol’ Yaller
1956 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL
Urged on by legendary U.S. automotive importer Max Hoffman, Daimler-Benz launched the production 300SL in 1954. Thanks to him and others willing to accept the risk of selling an exotic $7,000 German sports car to Americans, the “Gullwing” brought Mercedes-Benz instant yet lasting credibility in this new and vital market. As a result, North American sales took off. Besides helping to move thousands of bread-and-butter sedans, the distinctive 300SL also paved the way for 50 years of the best luxury sports cars. This chassis is a late production car with factory Rudge wheels, sport seats, a Nardi steering wheel, and a sport camshaft. After 56,000 miles under two owners, it was sympathetically restored in silver with the traditional blue-plaid interior, fitted luggage, Becker short-wave radio, and knock-off hubs.
1931 BENTLEY 8-LITER
The 8-liter Bentleys were ultra-fast and near-silent sedans, and about 120 were produced. To give you an idea of their torque, the cars could accelerate from 10 to 100 mph in 50 seconds using only fourth gear! Featured in the book Bentley, Fifty Years of the Marque, this car is an original short-wheelbase (144-inch) chassis originally sold to H.N. Holder of Chelsea, a close associate of W.O. Bentley, replacing an earlier 8-Liter that Holder had bought that was defective and returned to the works. The final engine test was performed on July 25, 1931, making this one of the last 8-Liters sold before Bentley went into receivership. Later owner Lt. Col. C.M. Jacobs had H. Wallace fit dual-tourer coachwork in 1962, and the car won its class at the 1964 Goodwood Pageant under his ownership. Passing through many hands, it came to the U.S. in 1974.
1955 AUSTIN-HEALEY 100S
After Donald Healey’s prototype caught the eye of Austin’s Sir Leonard Lord at the 1952 London Motor Show, they quickly conspired to sell it as the Austin-Healey 100. The car was re-badged before it even left the stand! A year later, a 100 finished second in class and twelfth overall at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In 1954, a 100S achieved success in the 12 Hours of Sebring, with Stirling Moss and Lance Macklin driving to third place. This 100S competition version, one of 55, has a 132-hp engine, a 4-speed gearbox, all-disc brakes, and an alloy body. Since 1955 it has raced in the U.S., New Zealand, and Australia—at Watkins Glen, Thompson, Cumberland, Terratonga, Christchurch, and Dunedin. More recently it has been driven in vintage tours including the Mille Miglia Storica; this marks its 10th Grand!
1956 FERRARI 410 SUPERAMERICA
Big-engined, fast, and expensive, the Superamericas were built for the captains of industry and royalty who could afford them. The 340-hp, Lampredi-designed, 4.9-liter, 60-degree V12 endows the luxurious 3,600-lb coupe with great performance. A total of 35 410 Superamericas were produced in three series, this Pinin Farina-bodied version being the sixth of 17 Series I cars. Most were custom-built, so they differ in many ways. Many have a four-speed transmission with first gear forward and to the right and fourth back and to the left. After serving as a 1956 Turin show car for Ferrari, this one wound up with the Saudi Arabian royal family. Completed on February 20, 1956 in bianco (white) with a black top and black interior, this car comes with the long-wheelbase chassis which suits the large 4.9-liter powerplant. The car has won concours d’elegances across the U.S. and abroad and was driven on the Grand in 2000.
1952 JAGUAR C-TYPE
Following initial competition success of the road-going XK 120, the C-Type was Jaguar’s first purpose-built racer. Originally designated the XK-120C, it had a triangulated space-frame clothed in a body designed, not styled, by the first man to apply aerodynamics to a British racing car, Malcolm Sayer. Powered by a 3.4-liter twin-cam six of about 210 hp, C-Types won at Le Mans in 1951 and 1953.
1951 FRAZER NASH LE MANS REPLICA
The company was founded in 1922 by Archibald Frazer-Nash, whose business was later known as AFN (he used a hyphen in his name but not that of his car). AFN made two one-offs in 1949, one of which finished third at Le Mans that year, and thereafter renamed them Le Mans Replicas. Success continued with a win at the 1951 Targa Florio. About 25 LMRs were produced, so you are seeing a rare piece indeed. Running the BMW-designed, 2-liter Bristol BSH six, manufactured by the Bristol Aeroplane Company, this lithe 1,900-lb racer performed as an English hillclimb and club event car in the 1950s and 1960s.
1939 JAGUAR SS 100 ROADSTER
During 1939, as World War II broke out, S.S. (Swift Swallow) Cars, the builder of these Jaguar cars, was forced into the war effort; with car production slashed, the firm built sidecars, trailers, and aircraft parts. These sporty yet elegant cars—capable of 100 mph, hence their name—set the standard for British sports cars. This is one of the later 3.5-liter, inline six-cylinder examples, in stunning British Racing Green. It participated in the Brighton Speed Trials as well as road races in England plus the Scottish Rally and European rallies in the 1960s and 1970s. It continued vintage racing throughout the Midwest and Southern U.S. and has completed four Grands.
1962 FERRARI 250GT SWB BERLINETTA
The 250GT SWB GT was delivered in Italy as a steel-bodied “Lusso”, or street version. These are awesome cars, with the bulletproof yet powerful Type 128F, 3-liter Colombo V-12 that gave them great performance and unmatched sound. The 250 SWBs were Pinin Farina designed but built by Scaglietti in Modena. The model was introduced at the 1959 Paris Salon. Built near the end of the run, this GT was the 15th to the last SWB and today is a seasoned successful concours participant.
1960 JAGUAR XK-150S COUPE
During the year 1957 the XK-150 was introduced at the annual Earl’s Court Show in Fixed Head Coupe and Drophead Coupe forms. This has the powerful 3.8-liter, “S” six-cylinder engine with triple SU carburetors, making 250 hp. These cars were designated as the XK150 3.8 “S”, and only 283 were made (208 are known to exist) from October 1959 thru September 1960. Only 41 “S” cars were left-hand drive Fixed Head Coupes, and 24 are accounted for. The “S” model also included 60-spoke wire wheels, overdrive, dual exhausts, driving lights, and higher compression.
1953 JAGUAR C-TYPE
Built to follow the successes of the XK-120, the C-Type was Jaguar’s first purpose-built racing car. Designed to win Le Mans, the XK-120C, or XKC as it was sometimes known, has a triangulated space frame and a body sculpted by one of the first designers to apply aerodynamics to a racing car, Malcolm Sayer. Its six-cylinder engine’s reliability and power--up to 220 hp by 1953-innovative disc brakes, and aerodynamic body helped deliver the goods at Le Mans in 1951 and 1953. The C-Type’s track successes set the performance standard for future racing Jaguars. It was originally bought by Robert McManus in 1952. He and Chuck Hassan raced it during 1953 and early 1954, earning three class wins and second-place overall finishes at Mansfield, Louisiana, and Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas. The car was sold in early 1954 to Riddelle Gregory, who finished third overall and second in class that April at the Pebble Beach races. From the early 1970s until its recent purchase, the car was in the collection of Jaguar enthusiast Walter Hill.
1962 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL ROADSTER
The leading lights of the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center, Mike and Nate are so busy restoring old cars and setting up for Monterey that they are understandably unable to tell us at press time exactly which Mercedes-Benz classic they’re bringing on the 2010 Grand, but our bet is that it will be some variation on the ever-popular 300SL. Of course, they’re also bringing a fleet of new Mercedes-Benz models for you to sample. Many thanks to longtime sponsor Mercedes-Benz.
1959 ASTON MARTIN DB4 GT LIGHTWEIGHT
Superbly suitable for road or track venues, this is the rarest of rare one of only two LHD Lightweight DB4 GTs. A matching numbers example, Peony Red DB4 GT is correctly restored by Aston Martin specialists. DB4 GTs represented a strong challenge to the dominance of Ferrari in FIA racing and enjoyed considerable success, raced from 1959 by both the Works team as well as John Ogier’s Essex Racing Stable. Driven by the likes of Roy Salvadori, Stirling Moss, Jim Clark and Innes Ireland, these rare lightweight GTs earned their stripes on the racing circuits of the world. We welcome this spectacular car.
1957 BMW 507
As BMW’s first post-war sports car, the 507 featured an aluminum, essentially hand-built body designed by Count Albrecht Goertz and powered by a 3.2-liter V8 producing 165 hp, enough to take the sleek convertible to 137 mph. Because the Mercedes-Benz 300SL was faster, less expensive, and earned so many racing successes, the 507 sold modestly. Among the owners of the 355 built were Prince Rainier, the kings of Greece and Morocco, and U.S. Army Corporal Elvis Presley. They were available in coupe and convertible versions, of which 253 were produced.
1949 JAGUAR-ASTON XK
One of the first British hybrids,this chassis blends a rare pre-war Aston Martin Type-C Speed body and Jaguar XK150 running gear. Powered by the proven 210-bhp, 3442cc, DOHC six, it has a four-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension, coil springs, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. This car brings a little spirit to the Grand with this “Jaston” or “Asguar”, whichever you prefer.
1962 FERRARI 250 GT/COMP 64
The 22nd of 36 GTOs built in the Series I style, this car was rebodied in Series II style in 1963. The later body has a shorter roof, almost vertical rear glass, and--in this case--an integrated roof spoiler and minor updates, including the gas filler on the passenger side. Originally shipped to Sergio Bettoja in 1962, its competition history did not begin until 1964, when registered to Scuderia San Ambreus in Italy and driven by Edoardo Lualdi. Throughout 1964, Lualdi piloted this car to either first overall or first in class at virtually all of the 14 hillclimbs he entered. For the 1965 season, ownership passed to Clemente Ravetto, who continued its hillclimb career including the 45-mile Madonie Piccolo, an 11-lap version of the Targa Florio, where it won its class. Its career would continued with more hillclimbs until it landed in the U.S., passing through several owners, including the famous Tom Meade, creator of the Nembo Spyder and Thomassina cars.
1962 FERRARI 330 LMB
The 330 LMBs were purpose-built prototypes to specifically complete in long distance events like Le Mans. These race cars were designed around an extended chassis specially built for these four cars. The unique Tipo 574 chassis was also fitted with a dry-sump system, which allowed the engine to sit lower in the chassis leading to a lower coefficient of drag. Built in the same prototype shop as the GTO, this was the last of the four 330 LMBs built and featured lightening techniques such as Plexiglas side and rear windows. Powering the 330 LMB was a further development of the unit used in the 1962 four-liter prototypes. Based on the 400 SA engine the Tipo 163 variant was a V12 with 3,967-cc displacement, six Weber 42 DCN carburetors and an output of 400 bhp at 7,500 rpm, which was a good 50-80 bhp more than the GTOs. Before Le Mans in 1963, Pete Coltrin experienced a ride with Mike Parkes in a shake-down test run of this car on the Autostrada, where he saw 177 mph, and was made famous with his article in Car and Driver, November 1963. The LMB ran in the proto-type class at Le Mans in 1963 for Maranello Concessionaires driven by Jack Sears and Mike Salmon to finish 5th overall. This car was the only LMB of the four that finished the race. It was later driven by Lorenzo Bandini in the U.K. The LMB is also known as the first car to reach 180 down the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans the same year eclipsing the 250 P and the GTO.
1952 ALLARD J2X
The rugged cycle-fendered Allard J-series burst onto English roads in 1949. Raw power, fierce acceleration, negligible braking, and primitive suspension resulted in heavy, erratic handling, but the cars were blindingly fast in a straight line. Until the Ferraris and Jaguars came along, the J2X won races across the U.S. This chassis has a 333-ci, 160-hp Cadillac V8, and was bought by Roy Cherryhomes, who lent it to a brash young Texan named Carroll Shelby. After winning all of his races in 1953 in this car, he and Dale Duncan drove it to 10th overall in the sports car leg of the 1954 Temporada Series in Buenos Aires. There Shelby met John Wyer, of Aston Martin, and the rest is history.
1958 A.C. ACE-BRISTOL
The A.C. Ace-Bristol roadster was successful in two-liter production sports car race classes throughout the U.S. and Europe. Its sturdy ladder-type tube chassis caught the eye of Carroll Shelby, who used it as the basis for his brutal and powerful Cobra. The Ace has independent suspension all round and is powered by a 1971cc inline six, a derivative of BMW’s 328 powerplant, producing 125 hp. This car began its life in SCCA racing. Despite the factory’s moniker of “The Safest Fast Car in the World”, it was extensively damaged in 1959. In 1962 it was purchased by Jerry as a parts car for another Ace-Bristol and stored for 40 years. Jerry, who formerly brought us his Veritas coupe and Ferrari, rebuilt this car in 2002 and has vintage-raced it at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and in Colorado.
1954 FERRARI 250 EUROPA
The Europa set the standard for slippery Ferrari designs by Pininfarina. Its traditional egg-grate grille and hot-rod-like profile combined with the strong Lampredi V12 made an impressive package. The car was a favorite of royalty: Princess de Rethy, Prince Bernhard, even Charlie Chaplin. Originally red with red leather and black piping, this car was owned for years by Bob Tarwacki and Bob Cole. Special features include a chronograph, a radio, and dashboard idiot lights. This is 15 of 17 250 Europas (16 coupes, 1 cabriolet) produced with the 3-liter, Lampredi 220 bhp V12 with three Weber 36DCF carburetors.
1962 FERRARI 250 GTO
The 19th of 36 GTOs, this is a Series I car, with two diagonal side vents and painted Grigio (medium grey) Metallic. Its competition history began at the Tour de France in 1962, where it was campaigned by Scuderia Filipinetti and driven by its first owner as well as Edgar Berney of Switzerland and John Gretener. It continued to race at venues such as Montlhéry and picked up a third overall at the 1963 Spa-Francorchamps 500k under Jo Siffert. Driven by Claude Bourillot and Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma-- Prince of the Blood, a descendant of Louis XIV–the car finished 10th overall and 3rd in class at the 1964 Targa Florio. It continued to be successful in races and hillclimbs around France through 1971, when it passed through Luigi Chinetti, Sir Anthony Bamford, and Alain de Cadenet.
1953 SIATA 208S
The Siata Spyder was successful in competition thanks to its great power-to-weight ratio and great handling, due in part to its fully-independent suspension and unique integrated spring and shock absorber system. Just half the price of a period Ferrari, about 60 were built, most finding their way to the U.S. for SCCA racers. While a few 208Ss were implanted with Ford V8s or small-block Chryslers, most had the 2-liter Fiat 8V, producing 122 hp. Ernie McAfee competed in the 1953 Carrera Panamericana Mexico in this car which is named the “Holey Terror” after it was so extensively lightened and hole-drilled that it was like an 1,800-lb block of Swiss cheese! This car had a glorious career, particularly in 1954, when it was campaigned by first owner Bob Kuhn at Watkins Glen, Put-In-Bay, and Andrews Air Force Base, garnering many class wins.
1957 COZZI JAGUAR XK120M SPECIAL
The brainchild of a schoolboy, Dan Cozzi, this Jaguar was made real by his father and their neighbor, Bill Nielson. When Dan was 18, studying to be an engineer, he took half a year off to build his dream. Using a modified XK120 chassis, this project was finished in six months. Its aerodynamic aluminum body, designed by Cozzi, was built by Jack Hagemann. The 3.4-liter XK120M 6-cylinder has four SU carburetors, with a four-speed gearbox, a tubular steel 96-inch wheelbase,this XK120-derived suspension, and four-wheel drum brakes. Road & Track featured the car in its May 1957 issue, and it later appeared in Automobile and Vintage Motorsport magazines. The car was first registered in spring 1956 and immediately put on the track. Taking third in class in its first race and winning its class at the final race in Cozzi’s ownership was impressive. In fact, it can claim a win against Carroll Shelby in a Maserati 300S and John von Neumann’s Ferrari 500TR. The car has since been restored and driven at the Monterey Historics and shown at Amelia Island Concours.
1961 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL ROADSTER
The first racing 300SL roadsters appeared in 1952 as cut-down coupes, their tops removed to save weight. The fast, comfortable, and reliable production 300SL–aka “Gullwing” – was unveiled at the New York auto show in February 1954, and production continued through 1957, when the slightly less dramatic but more civilized Roadster replaced it. Production ran through 1963, with 1,858 built. This is one of the last of 256 1961 Roadsters, has enjoyed numerous rallies around the country, and we’re pleased to have it grace the Grand!
1933 MASERATI 8CM
8CM was completed on March 5, 1933, and sold to Geoffredo Zehender, who campaigned it around Europe in 1933-1934. In fact, it was this car that debuted the Tipo 8CM in the Tunis Grand Prix, where it took third place. Some of the races that this car competed in included Tripoli, Montlhéry, Rheims, Spa-Francorchamps, Nice, Pescara, Saint-Gaudens, Marseilles, Nürburgring, Monaco, and Monza. Along the way, Zehender set four speed records with chassis 3006 at Montlhéry, achieving 132.43 mph. The car used a new system of chassis construction, whereby special thin stainless-steel alloy was spot-welded into a rigid frame, bringing chassis weight down from 100 kg to an astounding 37 kg! The current owners acquired the car in 2005 and have enjoyed touring in it ever since; they earned a second place in the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in 2010. Welcome back to the Grand with this awesome Maserati.
1954 JAGUAR XK 120 ROADSTER
From 1949 onward, the XK 120 Roadster conquered sports car racing and rallying, including the Tourist Trophy and the International Alpine Rally. Off-track, it launched Jaguar in the U.S. market in the 1950s. This car was sold in California but found its way in 1963 to Colorado, where it was stored until 1989; restoration was completed in 1997. Its original twin-cam, 3.4-liter inline six makes about 160 hp.
1952 JAGUAR C-TYPE
Developed for the 1951 24 Hours of Le Mans, XK 120C racers were produced over three years: 11 works cars and 43 production C-Types. All were endowed with a 210-bhp, 3442cc double-overhead camshaft inline-six with two SU carburetors; a four-speed manual transmission; independent front suspension with upper and lower wishbones, torsion bars, and hydraulic dampers; a live rear axle with trailing arms, a “double-action” torsion bar, and a torque reaction member; and four-wheel Lockheed drum brakes. The C-Type won Le Mans on its first attempt; Peters Walker and Whitehead set a record average speed. For 1952, Jaguar modified the aerodynamics to gain speed, but the cowled cooling system caused overheating, so all three entries retired. In 1953 a lighter, more powerful C-Type with disc brakes won Le Mans again; at a record average speed of 105.85 mph, Duncan Hamilton and Tony Rolt became the first winners to average more than 100 mph.
1953 FERRARI 340MM COMPETITION LE MANS SPYDER
Sporting the massive 4.1-liter, this Lampredi V12 was ordered by Bill Spear for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Its right-hand drive chassis was wrapped with a wonderful, night-blue-and-white Vignale spyder body adorned with three portholes and triangular cutouts in the rear fenders. This is not a large car, thus the cockpit features a staggered seat arrangement to locate two people in relative comfort. A competition car, it was ordered with F1 aluminum drum brakes, open exhaust, and a 40-gallon fuel tank. The car didn’t make Le Mans because of Ferraris tardiness but ran at Reims and Silverstone before being imported to the U.S., where it raced in sports car races.
1937 FORD/KURTIS TOMMY LEE SPECIAL
California racer and car dealer Tommy Lee, son of radio mogul Don Lee, California’s most prominent Cadillac dealer, commissioned Frank Kurtis to create this special in 1937. His father died in 1934, making Tommy, just 28, one of the richest single men in Los Angeles and allowing him to feed his automotive passion. Tommy became fascinated with custom cars and testing the envelope of speed. Starting with a 1936 Ford chassis, he fabricated an amalgamation of a Cord Sportsman and Auburn Boattail Speedster. He commissioned Harry Miller protégé Fred Offenhauser to create the largest-ever Offy power-plant, a 318-ci, twin-cam racing engine developing an estimated 300 bhp and immense torque. Reportedly costing $25,000 to build, it powered Lee, who had a home near Muroc, to a reported 148 mph at the nearby Muroc dry lakes.
1963 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL ROADSTER
Powered by the torquey and smooth 2996cc, fuel-injected, single overhead cam six, the 300SL ranks among the classic sports cars. The road-going 300SL was derived from the celebrated racing coupes which won four of the five championship races entered in 1952, creating a significant market among amateur drivers and connoisseurs around the world. The secret to the lowness of the tubular space-frame 300SL is the slant of its engine, 50 degrees from the vertical.